Butternut is one of the most versatile vegetables and easily takes on flavour additions. It’s one of my favourite vegetables to cook with. This roast butternut with feta salad makes a lovely side to serve with these kebabs, roast chicken or a succulent fillet. Or, add chickpeas and some roast red peppers to make a Middle-Eastern style salad.
I season the butternut with ground coriander and a touch of mixed spice. It lends a subtle earthy taste. The sharp contrast of the minted chimichurri dressing is a real joy. It contrasts the sweetness of the butternut beautifully. For nutty texture and crunch, I finish with handfuls of toasted pumpkin seeds. Feta and butternut are the best partners, although goat’s milk will also be good. I serve the salad warm or at room temperature. Fridge cold masks the flavour, so if you’re taking it to work, try warming it slightly before tucking in.
Roast butternut with feta, seeds and chimichurri dressing
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large butternut, peeled and roughly chopped (about 800g)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- a generous pinch of mixed spice
- 100g feta cheese
- 1/4 cup toasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds
- generous handful flat leaf parsley, mint and basil
- zest of half a lemon
- juice of 1 whole lemon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- a pinch of dried red chilli flakes
- pinch of castor sugar
- salt and black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200º C. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. Spread the butternut onto the sheet. Do not over-crowd the tray as the butternut will steam and not roast. Drizzle with olive oil and season with coriander, mixed spice, salt and pepper. Toss with your hands to ensure that all the butternut is well coated. Roast for 45 minutes until the edges are tinged and caramelised.
- Place all the dressing ingredients together and stir to combine. To serve, tip the butternut into a serving bowl, crumble over the feta, toasted seeds and drizzle with the dressing. Serve immediately.
Hello, I’m Di
Welcome to my kitchen, a creative gathering place where meals are shared with family and friends, celebrating life and nurturing our connectivity.
Purchase my eBook “Beautiful Home Food – Recipes From Bibby’s Kitchen” here.