Easy Banana Muffins
I’m considering writing a book on 101 things to do with bananas. Apart from my Brown Butter Banana Bread and the equally delicious Chocolate Banana Bread, these easy banana muffins are perfect for repurposing those over-ripe bananas. They’re lovely plain and just a little special topped with Peanut Butter Mousse. A feathery dusting of cocoa adds a subtle chocolatey goodness.
Muffins make the tastiest addition to any lunch box and the best healthy snack. To enrich the taste and lighten the texture I’ve used buttermilk. It also helps to keep the muffins moist. The addition of wholemeal flour boost the fibre and gives the banana muffins a toothsome but tender crumb. Butter is replaced with coconut oil but either will do nicely. Banana muffins are perfect with mid-morning tea or as sweet in between snack.
Cook’s note: Often, I’ll make double the quantity and freeze half for later in the week.
Easy Banana muffins
- 1 cup (150g) self raising flour
- 3/4 cup (100g) wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- pinch of salt
- 150g brown sugar
- 80ml coconut oil
- 2 eggs
- 150ml buttermilk
- 3 very ripe bananas
- Preheat the oven to 180° C. Line two muffin trays with paper cases. Sift all the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Place the sugar, coconut oil, eggs, buttermilk and bananas in a blender and whizz together until smooth. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix lightly until just combined. Over mixing will toughen the muffins so keep it brief! Spoon into the muffin cases and bake for 18-20 minutes. Always test with a skewer before removing from the oven. Cool on a wire rack before storing in an airtight container.
- Serve as is or frost with peanut butter mousse.
The Bibby’s Kitchen Cookbook
Find out all about my first cookbook by clicking here.
Purchase my new eBook “Beautiful Home Food – Recipes From Bibby’s Kitchen” here.
Hello, I’m Di
Welcome to my kitchen, a creative gathering place where meals are shared with family and friends, celebrating life and nurturing our connectivity.