These golden glow Pineapple Margaritas with Pink Peppercorn Ice are pure summer joy. Claims to ownership may be hotly disputed, but its popularity, irrefutable, no matter who’s argument sounds more plausible. Whether siding with Mexico or Spain, this tangy cocktail with its bitter orange undertone is a skilful balance of everything we love about summer cocktails. Agave syrup cushions the bitter edge and, our cocktail mainstay, tequila, does the rest.
When choosing a tequila, a clear blanco tequila will ensure you’re off to a solid start. Freshly squeezed lime juice is requisite, not optional. Nothing bottled here. A drizzle of agave syrup mellows the sharpness of lime without over-sweetening the whole. I’ve added a cautious drizzle for this recipe as the pineapple juice, while tart, has sufficient sugar to sweeten the lovely Marg. Purists may raise sceptic brows, but, while drifting from its roots, the variation is delightfully refreshing. (Agave syrup is available online from Faithful to Nature)
Pineapple Margaritas with Pink Peppercorn Ice
- 240ml tequila
- 125ml (1/2 cup) Cointreau
- 125ml (1/2 cup) fresh lime juice
- 200ml pineapple juice
- 15ml (1 tablespoon) Agave syrup
- 2 limes
- sea salt flakes, lightly crushed
- pink peppercorns (optional)
- additional ice for cocktail shaker
- For the pink peppercorn ice cubes, half fill an ice tray with cold water. Add several pink peppercorns to each section, then freeze partially. Fill the tray to the top and freeze overnight.
- For the salt and lime rimmed glasses, run the flesh side of a lime slice around the rims of the tumblers. Combine the salt and the zest of one lime in a shallow bowl. Dip the rim of each glass in the crushed salt mixture.
- Half fill a cocktail shaker with ice cubes. Add the tequila, Cointreau, lime juice, pineapple juice and Agave syrup. Shake until completely chilled.
- Half fill the rimmed tumblers with pink peppercorn ice cubes. Pour the margarita over the ice and finish with lime wedges or pineapple leaves.
If it’s hot and humid your side, these may help:
Hello, I’m Di
Welcome to my kitchen, a creative gathering place where meals are shared with family and friends, celebrating life and nurturing our connectivity.
Purchase my eBook “Beautiful Home Food – Recipes From Bibby’s Kitchen” here.