I started out this morning making a creamy chicken florentine with a rosemary and hazelnut cheese crumble and then got side-tracked by this. You could say my concentration span is a little challenged, but then who could blame me? From chicken to chocolate. I’m easily swayed by chocolate especially when it involves gluten-free black bean brownie S’mores. And yes, I did make the chicken crumble but we ate it before I could shoot it. Pity.
So back to the brownies. With gloomy grey skies and winter rain forecast for Gauteng, I lit the fire in the kitchen and pulled out the baking pans . And what better way to dispel gloom than a marshmallowy, gluten free S’more? No flour, no wheat, just pure goodness.
Black beans are packed with protein and fibre so eating a couple of these can only be good. Also in the mix is coconut oil, antioxidant-rich cocoa, 70% dark chocolate and coconut milk. These brownies are blitzed together in a blender. Can’t get easier than that. I first saw the recipe for the brownies on Minimalist baker where Dana makes incredible vegan everything! Her original version is suitable for vegans, super-dark and rich. From there, I’ve adapted the recipe and used them as a base for these S’mores.
To transform the brownies into S’mores, I hollowed out the centre and filled it with coconut cream chocolate ganache, using this truffle recipe. There’ll be more than enough ganache for the filling so perhaps make only half the quantity or use the remainder to roll a few truffles for late night treats. For the marshmallow topping I make a classic meringue and scorched it with a kitchen blow torch. Mini marshmallows will also work. They keep well for several days but do become sticky the longer they’re left to stand. I’d store them in an airtight container in the fridge. If you’re going to do the meringue topping, pipe on just before serving.
Gluten-free black bean brownie S’mores
- 400g tin black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 eggs
- 60ml coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup castor sugar or sugar substitute
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
For the meringue marshmallow
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons castor sugar or xylitol
- Preheat the oven to 180º C. Grease a small hole non-stick muffin tin. (Don’t line with muffin cases)
- Place all the ingredients for the brownies in a blender and blitz until completely smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly into 10 of the muffin holes. Bake for 12-13 minutes.
- Rest in the tin for several minutes before un-moulding. Leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Gently hollow out the centre of each brownie, keeping the base intact.
- Fill with teaspoon amounts of chocolate ganache and allow to set.
- Place the egg white in a clean, dry bowl and whisk until frothy. Add the castor sugar gradually and whisk until smooth and glossy.
- Transfer the meringue to a piping bag and pipe onto the brownies. Place briefly under a grill or use a handheld kitchen blow torch to scorch the tops.