These butternut flatbreads are vibrantly colourful and sure to debunk any thoughts of flavourless Meatfree Monday meals. Buttery flatbreads piled with butternut, beetroot and toasty chickpeas. To off-set the sweetness of the beetroot, I like to liven things up with goat’s cheese truffles. You can of course use a good salty feta, if you like.
Butternut has to be one of my favourite vegetables, not only for taste, but also versatility in both savoury and sweet foods. It obliges by happily absorbing flavours and is a great vegetable all-rounder. And what better to go with roast butternut than balsamic beets?
Here’s a quick breakdown of what to expect:
- Goat’s cheese, rolled into truffle-sized balls, coated in toasted sesame seeds
- Make your own flatbreads or use a good store-bought version (Turkish flatbreads, tortillas or wraps)
- Beets – store bought will do fine or roast in the oven along with the butternut
- Pan-fried spicy chickpeas
- Definitely whip up a batch of this beetroot and feta pâté. You can find the recipe here
- Shred some crunchy cos lettuce, toss with peppery rocket and it’s a wrap!
PS I have to say that the yum-factor hinges around the beetroot and feta pâté. It’s salty, sweet and uber luscious, providing the ‘saucy’ element that pulls the whole dish together. It’s like a savoury smoothie. Add lashings!
Butternut flatbreads with beets and goat’s cheese truffles
- 500g butternut, roughly chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mixed spice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 400g tinned chickpeas, rinsed and thoroughly drained
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- salt and black pepper
- 125g goat’s cheese
- 2 tablespoons white and black toasted sesame seeds, mixed
- 4 flatbreads
- balsamic roast beets
- beetroot and feta pâté
- toasted pumpkin seeds
- handful radishes, thinly sliced
- cos lettuce and rocket leaves
- pomegranate arils
- Start with the roast butternut. Preheat the oven to 200º C. Grease and line a baking sheet with foil. Spread the butternut onto the tray and drizzle with olive oil.
- Season with the mixed spice, salt and pepper. Roast for about 40 -45 minutes until cooked through and tinged golden around the edges.
- To make the chickpeas, heat the olive oil in a frying pan. Toss in the chickpeas and cook on a medium high heat for about 6-8 minutes. Add all the aromatics and continue to cook for several more minutes.
- For the goat’s cheese truffles, simply roll teaspoon amounts of goat’s cheese into balls and toss lightly in the toasted sesame seeds. Cover and chill to firm up until needed.
- To assemble the flatbreads, start with a warmed flatbread as the base. Layer up with lettuce, rocket, butternut and beetroot. Scatter over a handful of chickpeas, followed by sliced radishes, pumpkin seeds and pomegranate arils. Dollop on spoonfuls of beetroot and feta pâté and finish with several goat’s truffles and serve straight away.