Mac and cheese is always a crowd pleaser. I have several versions, this Roasted cauliflower Mac and Cheese being the new favourite. While the recipe is my own, the idea to use a sheet pan is one I found on Food 52. Amanda Hesser explains that a baking sheet is the only way to go. It’s crunchy toppings for everyone!
Roasting the cauliflower adds a lovely nuttiness. Most of the ingredients for the recipe are kitchen basics like milk, bread, butter and cheese. For the topping I use Parmesan and walnuts, although a sharp cheddar or gruyere will be just as good. If you prefer a stringy cheese, mozzarella does the job. Pasta doesn’t like hanging about so get everyone around the table, ready to tuck in as it comes out the oven.
This recipe is featured on The Feedfeed along with 50 more drool-worthy mac & cheese’s. A must visit for serious pasta lovers!
Roast cauliflower mac and cheese
- 60g butter
- 50g all-purpose flour
- 750ml milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups mature cheddar, grated
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into florets
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 350g macaroni pasta, cooked and drained
Parmesan and walnut crumb topping
- 2 cups ciabatta breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 cup walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan, grated
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- For the cheese sauce, melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and whisk to combined. Add the milk in slowly, whisking all the while. Cook over a medium heat until thickened. Add the mustard and season with salt. Add the cheese and whisk until melted.
- Preheat the oven to 180º C. Spread the cauliflower onto a roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil and season. Toss to coat and roast for about 20 minutes.
- For the crumb topping, mix all the ingredients together in a bowl.
- Turn the oven up to 200º C.
- Add the roast cauliflower to the cooked pasta. Pour over the cheese sauce and toss gently to coat. Transfer the pasta to a baking sheet and scatter the crumb topping over. Bake for about 20 minutes until golden.