A trilogy of good taste comes in the form of this no-bake caramel walnut chocolate tart. It’s about flavour, colour and texture sheathed in extreme opulence. Certain occasions call for luxurious indulgence with quiet restraint. It’s chic with a smattering of sass. As the LBD (little black dress) is the quintessential must-have for devoted fashionistas, a swoon-worthy dessert is the ultimate trump card to dinner party success. This chocolate tart is quietly elegant, outrageously rich yet deceptively simple to make. Testament to it’s success is this feature on The Feedfeed chocolate tart round up!
Black has always been my favourite colour. It probably stems from years working in the fashion industry when my entire wardrobe was stacked with black pieces – dark black, charcoal black, midnight black….. you get the idea. Johnny Cash would’ve been proud. Everything matched. No white or colour cycles in the wash, just darks. This sentiment seems to extends to dark foods. Smouldering coffee, even darker chocolate, liquorice, even black salt. I make no apologies for what’s to follow. Dark cocoa crumb biscuit base, toasted walnuts, caramel, gleaming chocolate ganache and a smattering of crystal-like black salt.
The real triumph is that you don’t need an oven or any baking skills whatsoever. With no risk of failure, there’s no downside to this easy chocolate tart recipe. One prerequisite though, is the best quality chocolate. It’s the hero in this dessert. The caramel is obviously sweet, so I use a 70% chocolate for the filling.
For ease and convenience, I’ve used store bought caramel, but when time allows, this caramel toffee sauce is an option. Roasting the walnuts is essential to enhance the nutty characteristics and intensify the flavour. And then there’s the salt. Countering elements optimises tastes. Think savoury/sweet, spicy/sour or smooth/textural. These factors are key to sensory eating. Salt, chocolate and caramel are classic combinations that work their magic. Although some might request a slither, we all know that only a slice will gratify.
No-bake caramel walnut chocolate tart
- 200g chocolate filled biscuits
- 60g butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 100g walnuts, toasted
- 385g tin Nestlé Caramel treat
- 200g 70% dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 3/4 cup cream
- 2 teaspoons glucose or 1 tablespoon butter
- Hawaiian black salt
- Pulse the biscuits in a processor until fine breadcrumb texture. Add the melted butter and cocoa and pulse again.
- Press the biscuit crumbs into a 22cm tart tin.
- Press the walnuts into the biscuit base.
- Warm the caramel in the microwave for about 40 seconds and stir until it’s smooth.
- Spread the caramel into the tart shell and smooth over with the back of an off-set spatula. Refrigerate until firm.
- Place the chopped chocolate, cream and glucose in a glass bowl. Microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring between each blast until melted and glossy.
- Pour the chocolate ganache over the chilled caramel. Chill for about 3 hours. Scatter with Hawaiian black salt.
- Keep the tart chilled in the fridge. Set on the counter for about 10 minutes before serving.