Amarena cherry ice cream with toasted almonds
The first time I tasted this Amarena cherry ice cream was in Rome, sitting on the steps of a tiny gelataria overlooking the Colosseum. The air was hot, the view spectacular and the gelato, unforgettable. Since then, whenever I make this ice cream, I think of Italian summers. This ice cream can take you there.
To a child, ice cream is a thing of wonder. Growing up, our favourite end of month treat, was a visit to Carvel Ice Cream. There weren’t too many flavours, but that which were there, we loved. Vanilla with caramel-nut crunch was my best, my mother, always choosing the cherry and almond. I think she’s going to love this recipe.
The texture of this milky Amarena cherry ice cream is smooth and creamy. It’s a simple egg-free vanilla ice cream that’s a doddle to make. If you prefer a classic vanilla bean ice cream, leave out the Amarena cherries and almonds and serve with this salted caramel sauce. Being free of preservatives, it ‘s best to use within a week. It probably won’t last that long!
Amarena Cherry Ice Cream
- 500ml single cream
- 125ml full cream milk
- 80ml (1/3 cup) castor sugar
- half a vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons honey
- a pinch of salt
- 50g almond flakes, toasted
- 3 tablespoons Amarena cherries, drained
- Place the cream, milk, sugar, vanilla seeds, and honey in a small saucepan. Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and stir in a pinch of salt.
- Pour into a jug and set aside to cool to room temperature. Cover and chill overnight. Transfer to an ice cream maker and churn as per the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Fold the toasted almond flakes and cherries into the ice cream and spoon into a loaf tin. Cover with foil and freeze until firm. Drizzle with reserved cherry syrup and a few extra sweet cherries nestled on top.
- If you prefer a soft serve consistency, serve straight from churning.
The Bibby’s Kitchen Cookbook
Find out all about my first cookbook by clicking here.
Purchase my new eBook “Beautiful Home Food – Recipes From Bibby’s Kitchen” here.
Hello, I’m Di
Welcome to my kitchen, a creative gathering place where meals are shared with family and friends, celebrating life and nurturing our connectivity.