The texture of this milky Amarena cherry ice cream is silky smooth and creamy. It’s is a simple egg-free vanilla ice cream that’s a doddle to make.
To a child, a mall is a marvellous place, filled with temptations and especially if there’s a Carvel ice cream parlour. Growing up, this was our month end treat. I don’t recall there being too many flavours, but what there was, we loved. I’d head straight for the vanilla cone. I loved the caramel chocolate crunch the most. My mum’s favourite was cherry and almond, to this ice cream is for her.
There’e a history of ice cream eating stories dotted throughout my life. On a recent ‘girls only’ trip to Rome, my mum and I got re-acquainted with this cherry flavoured creamy dream in a quaint little gelateria overlooking the Colosseum. The view was unforgettable, the August heat intense, the gelato heavenly and the joy of sharing it with my mum – the best!
If you prefer a classic vanilla bean ice cream, leave out the Amarena cherries and almonds and serve with top with this salted caramel sauce. Being free of preservatives, it ‘s best to use within a week. It probably won’t last that long!
Here’s another favourite – South Africa’s most favourite fridge pudding in ice cream form – Peppermint crisp ice cream pudding cake.
Amarena cherry ice cream with toasted almonds
- 500ml single cream
- 125ml full cream milk
- 80ml (1/3 cup) castor sugar
- half a vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons honey
- a pinch of salt
- 50g almond flakes, toasted
- 3 tablespoons Amarena cherries, drained
- Place the cream, milk, sugar, vanilla seeds, and honey in a small saucepan. Heat gently until the sugar has dissolved. Remove from the heat and stir in a pinch of salt.
- Pour into a jug and set aside to cool to room temperature. Cover and chill overnight. Transfer to an ice cream maker and churn as per the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Fold the toasted almond flakes and cherries into the ice cream and spoon into a loaf tin. Cover with foil and freeze until firm. Drizzle with reserved cherry syrup and a few extra sweet cherries nestled on top.
- If you prefer a soft serve consistency, serve straight from churning.